Visits to a supermarket these days are a dire necessity rather than a luxury in today’s jet-setting life. Today no one has the time to visit the local market every day to buy necessities and daily household items.
Today the daily household chores of a young urban family start right in the morning when the mother has to get her child ready for school. The problem escalates if both the couple are office goers.
As the priority of the family is to reach their workstations on time, little can they manage to go to the market daily. The same applies to a middle-class or an upper-middle-class family too.
No person, whether an office goer, a senior corporate executive, or a housewife, can vouch for that as to when he or she can come back in time and go for marketing. Here, the role and function of a supermarket become all the more superlative.
It is the supermarket or the big self-help departmental stores marketing almost everything under the sun that plays a major role in meeting the needs of the people.
Powerful Tips To Build A Supermarket Branding Strategies
- Logo – The logo of a supermarket is as important as any other consumer brand. The supermarket logo has to be simple but straightforward. It should be such that the brand recall value is quite high. Versatility coupled with relevance and poise must be truly reflected in the logo.
- Name and tagline – The brand name has to be simple and unique, depicting the features of the services rendered in a short sleek form. The target audience should be able to relate to the name immediately. The tagline should propagate the convenience and the factor of price benefit in one simple sentence.
- Logo color – At least two colors should be prominently present in the logo of a supermarket. They are blue, which stands for dependability and brilliance, and red which conveys happiness with prosperity.
- Pricing – Pricing is an extremely important benchmark of a supermarket operation. Consumers look forward to excellent cashback offers, sumptuous discounts, freebies exchange offers, discount and scratch coupons, and other popular consumer schemes.
- Positioning strategy – The primary objective of a supermarket is convenience and value for money with lots of lucrative and mind-blowing offers. Primarily, therefore, the supermarket, to reach unassailable heights, should zero in on convenience, pocket-friendliness, and a one-stop hub for all needs.
Brand Message – Every consumer of the supermarket looks for the following points so that they are in mental connivance with the supermarket. The points are-
- One-stop shop for all brands
- Multiple-choice of brands
- Offers competitive prices
- Rates boil down to lesser than MRP
- Friendly ambiance
These messages need to be conveyed to the audience in no uncertain terms.
Brand Voice – The brand voice of the supermarket should be simple, loud, and clear. The language of the brand voice should clearly state the vast expanse of the supermarket chain, lower prices with more and better discounts, and a horde of range and variety of items. To better understand the target audience, the percentage of savings should also be clearly communicated.
Brand Personality – The sets of human values that will go a long way in establishing the brand to be deeply rooted in the minds of the target audience are as under-
- The supermarket is very much customer-oriented and friendly
- All the latest quality goods are available at unbelievable prices.
Competitor’s activities – Tracking competitors’ activities keenly in the industry is essential. Some of the areas are –
- All major brands available at the competitor outlets must be available at the supermarket also.
- Home delivery is to be provided as an added value against the competition
- Freebies and offers must match the competitors and much more
- Better gifts on purchases as compared to the competitors
Advertisements and market promotion– Advertisement and sales promotion programs are essential for supermarket promotion and more profitable growth. Let us have a look at some of the essential options for supermarket promotion-
- Large size multi-colored announcement ads in leading dailies, both English and vernacular announcing weekly special deals, and offers
- Weekly one-day promotion with maximum discount.
- Usage of outdoor media extensively highlights the offers
- Leaflet distribution with offers in newspapers targeting the potential customers
- Tie up with sponsorer of important events
- Tie up with discount coupons involving large media houses for their subscription bases
- Email marketing with the subscription base
- Extensive social media advertisements
- Huge discounts on products on days of national importance
- Product displays at eye level
- Extensive usage of point-of-sale materials inside the supermarket.
- Operation of instant discount at floor level
- Branding on shopping bags
- Online transactions
Office and showroom environment:
- Huge massive, and extensive branding very essential in all showrooms and interiors with branding
- Carry bags with branding highlighted
- Point of purchase displays to use extensively inside the supermarket premises
- Business cards
- Distribution of gifts and souvenirs
- Gifts with every purchase
- Proper dress code to be followed by all sales staff inside the showroom premises
- Personal interaction with the customers.
Social media promotion:
- What’s app group
- Facebook email marketing to office staff
- A very well-designed website and portal
- Link with other reputed e-commerce sites
- Mobile and tab-friendly operations
- All contact information and product descriptions must be given
- Images of products should contain the full details of its basic ingredients
- Location of sister showrooms to attach
- Search engine optimization
- Bright supermarkets with their interiors should be highlighted.
- E-commerce site accessibility.
- Exploring the possibility of in-house product delivery.
Supermarkets are now more and more dependable. But at the same time, the supermarket authorities should seriously review the options involved to improve efficiency and footfall. Interior space management is essential.
A typical supermarket broadly houses the following divisions:
- General convenience store
- Health food store
- Greengrocer items
- Kids area
- Durable and electronic items
- Health food store
- Food court.
An ideal supermarket has the following important characteristics:
- Usually in a convenient and prime location so that it is much easier for people to commute
- One can get almost everything required for the household under the same roof
- Almost all well-known brands under their respective product categories are available
- The buyer’s choice is limitless
- Consumers can purchase items much below MRP with many attractive schemes.
The target audience of a supermarket group:
- A young couple with both of them working
- Corporate executives who are hard-pressed in time.
- Upwardly mobile families
- Senior citizens and elderly people who cannot afford to go around because of age
- People who are looking for deals, cash discounts, and freebies after every bulk purchase
- 50+ Famous Green Logos of Popular Brands
- Top 51 Best Supermarket Brands of the World
- Top 80+ Best Grocery Store Brands of the World
- 11 Different Types of Branding to Know About Today
- 15 Creative Things to know from Popular Brand Logos
Marketing | Branding | Blogging. These Three Words Describe Me in The Best Way. I Am a Self-Taught Marketer with 10 Years of Experience. Helping Startups/ It Companies/ and Small Businesses to Enhance Their Business Through Branding and Marketing Ideas. On A Mission to Help Small Businesses to Be a Brand.