The history of dairy farming is almost as old as the history of modern civilized society. Domesticating cows, buffaloes, goats, and sheep herd were prevalent even thousands of years ago when man was a nomad. In the modern parlance dairy industry would mean milk-based products, derivatives, and processed items from milk thereof.
Making the most of a dairy brand is not a child’s play at all with the industry set for a minimum growth of 5% annually till 2025. One needs thoroughbred professionals to handle the challenges in making the dairy brand number one.
Usages of dairy products:
- Dairy products are high-value nutritional products
- Dairy products enhance calcium content in the body thereby increasing bone health
- Dairy products have properties to contain type 2 diabetes.
- They can highly benefit people suffering from cardiac issues.
- Real value for money as a food supplement.
- In some cases, dairy products check blood pressure in senior citizens
Forms of dairy products that are marketed:
- Curds and yogurt
- Processed items like milk powder, ice cream, dessert, etc.
Defining the target audience:
Health conscious people, foodies, young children, young adults — in fact one can define the target audience of a dairy brand as almost 85 to 90% of the population in a given area. Overall the TG profile is more skewed towards the health-conscious people as the junk food consumers are unlikely to go for such health products in a big way.
Sourcing of milk products:
Since milk is a high-value nutritional item, one has to be doubly careful about the cattle health from where the milk is sourced, A healthy cattle group will always deliver the best quality milk. Sourcing can be done in two ways –
- The dairy brand unit has its livestock farm where the cattle can be constantly under the watchful eyes of trained people from the industry
- Third-party procurement unit, but then one has to be very sure about the credibility of the vendor and the various milk products that are being sourced.
- In the case of third party procurement pricing is a very important factor.
- Logo of the brand – Logo is the personality of the brand. The dairy logo has to be very creative and cute coupled with the font style and logo colour depicting milk, Preferably the image of cattle and white or light cream colour will suit the logo.
- Brand name – As like the name of any person, the brand name of the dairy item is of immense importance. The brand name has to be such that it connotes the nutritional and health value of the item together with the fact that it is appealing to all age categories.
- Brand positioning – The dairy brand is required to be positioned in a way in the market keeping in mind the health, nutrition, and food factors in mind. Since this is a fast-moving consumer item, immense care needs to be taken as the end-users must relate themselves with the brand.
- Brand pricing – Pricing strategy needs to be such that it is at par with the other competitors in the market. Since this is a necessity product and a food item, consumers can tend to shift to other brands if the price does not suit the pockets of the consumers.
Planning a brand message strategy for a dairy brand has to be implemented and formulated very deftly as it is an important food item. The strategy should be that the consumers or the target audience must be able to connect themselves with the brand. The message can be primarily based on the nutritional benefits of the brand and why the intake of the item is beneficial for the consumer. The message should be specifically giving an analysis and breakup of the nutrients vis a vis the benefits, the language need to be lucid so that even a layman amongst the TG can understand the message clearly. In case the manufacturing facility is under ISO certified facility, the message on this particular aspect must be clear and loud. An ISO certification will install much more confidence in the products in the minds of the consumers.
Brand voice and brand personality are synonymous with each other. Based on the brand personality the brand voice should speak on the attributes of the dairy brand mainly harping on its health benefits usefulness for the kids, young adults, and senior citizens. The selection of the languages should be such that it shows the confidence and the positive values of the brand.
Just as a human being has a distinctive personality, similarly any brand particularly a dairy brand should be very careful in building upon brand personification and brand personality. The brand should be exciting as a lot of kids are consumers and at the same time should be exuberant about the taste, the food value, the benefits, and at the same time the brand is a class apart from other similar brands available in the market. The basic human traits related to this type of product should be spewed on the brand.
The following are the basic criteria which needs to be kept in mind while tracking competitor’s activities and to scale to newer height –
- First and foremost channels of distribution for the competitors – to know how effective it is
- Contacts of the vendors of the competitors
- Pricing strategy
- Trade schemes and consumer schemes being operated by the competitors
- Quality of the raw materials and milk etc.
- Variety of the milk products and its food values
- Entire publicity campaign of the competitors
Dairy products being such, not only it is a food item, it comes under a fast-moving consumer goods category and a perishable one, advertising strategy, and execution have to be a no-nonsense affair. The following should be the basic avenues of advertising for making the brand a success-
- Print media with coloured ads
- TV advertisements
- Brand endorsement by a celebrity or a physician
- Testimonial advertisement
- In the case of manufacturing under ISO certified conditions the caption must be mentioned clearly.
- FM channels in radio for reminder and recall
- Sponsorship of events
- Outdoor media
- Reaching out at educational institutes
Channels of distribution:
For a dairy product, channels of distribution and logistics management play a pivotal part in making the success of the brand. The channels can be of two types, namely –
- Exclusive retail outlets with signage for branding
- B2B and B2Cdistribution mechanism where catering to the end consumer is very important
- Franchisee retail outlets in unrepresented areas
Like in most FMCG products, packaging decision is very important in case of a dairy product. Packaging has to be very appealing and appetizing as this is a food item. Proper inner container should be used to keep the inside products fresh for a certain period. Modern-day PET bottles or Tetra packs are used these days. Packaging must mention – manufactured under ISO certified facility if it is so.
All the three factors of the brand integration model and principles should be perfect sync to achieve the pinnacle of the glory of the brand.
- Office, retail/ trade environment-
- Transit media
- In-shop and on shop branding at retail outlets
- Full branding at exclusive outlets and franchisee retailers
- Neon light signs near prominent eateries which will act as brand recall
- Appealing packaging design
- Point of sales materials at the outlets
- Sponsorships of events with young crowd participation
- Face book
- Exclusive WhatsApp group of health freaks
- Google Plus
- Uploading of audio and visual ads across YouTube
- Should be easily navigable
- The design should be attractive with simple appealing language
- ISO logo with the certification should be uploaded as it installs confidence in the minds of the end consumer.
- Should have all information in a comprehensive manner
- Should contain address and location maps of retail outlets
- Address and location maps of exclusive stores should be there
- Images of certain exclusive outlets and retail outlets with branding
- Video clippings of the manufacturing processes and the packaging process should be uploaded.