Denim is one of the most adorable and one of the most sought after garments of the world. Although the name originated in France, yet the first Denim trousers were stitched in the USA at least 160 years back. Denim was first made for jobs meant for rough work and ruggedness. Gradually it became a household name worldwide and the perception stands for ruggedness, toughness and blue-collar jobs.
Tips to Build Denim Brand
The most popular hue of Denim is its indigo hue. The US firm Levi Strauss is the first company to gauge the tremendous possibility of Denim and won almost the branding rights. Undoubtedly it is one of the outstanding marketing innovations of our times.
Usages of Denim – The usages of Denim can be broadly classified into three categories. They are –
- Articles of clothing – Jeans, jackets, skirts, shirts, Capri pants, hats, dungarees, shorts, sneakers, boots.
- Furniture – Lampshades, bean bag chairs, upholstery
- Accessories — belts, bags, purses and wallet
Target Audiences –
Mainly the young crowd, casual, fun-loving, college going young guys who have a penchant for changing the world. Also are the young crowd those who are in professions like film making, advertising agencies, travel agencies, media houses and event management.
According to a study on the Denim market by a US-based group, the Denim market is expected to grow @5.8% cumulative annual growth rate by 2023. Post pandemic also it is expected that it will not be a huge variation than the forecast rates.
Procurement of raw materials for Denim –
The main raw materials denim fabric which is a cotton fabric made from the white weft and indigo dyed warp yarn. The stitching process is by using high tenacity polyester thread. The quality of all the three basic raw materials is of prime importance. The vendor who supplies these items has to be a thoroughbred professional with a very high level of expertise.
Brand Nomenclature –
- Logo – The logo is the first line of communication to the target audience. The brand personality is based on the logo idea. Keeping in mind the young crowd the logo should address the design likewise, The illustration, the typestyle and the font should be young in character.
- Brand name and tag line – the brand name should be appealing with the demographic and the psychographic profile of the target audience. The name should have ruggedness and toughness in it. The tagline should be such that the youth can immediately relate them with the line.
- Logo colour – Ideally the logo colour should be the indigo hue of denim otherwise it should be in direct contrast to the denim colour so that the logo and the brand name is visible from a distance.
- Positioning strategy – The brand should be positioned as a trendy outfit, for the young casual happy go lucky type of guys. At the same time, comfort wear and fashion consciousness should also be kept in mind.
Competitor’s activities –
- Merchandising activities of the competitors must be closely monitored for own improvement
- Contemporary designs of the apparels from the competitor’s stable to monitor
- Prices should be at par with the competitors.
- Quality of fabric from the competitors should be closely looked into whether the quality matches with own brand
- Shelf displays and shelf presence should be more than the competitors
- Pre-festival consumer offers should match the competitors activities.
Advertisement and media options –
- Corporate colour ads with branding in leading newspapers
- Corporate colour ads in lifestyle magazines
- Colour ad offering new launches and consumer schemes during festival times which should be released very frequently.
- Outdoor ads in the form of hoardings
- Neon signs on shop fronts and signages inside the shop
- Sponsoring of cultural and sports events in colleges
- Innovative signages in important street junctions before festival time
- Exclusive franchisee shops completed with interior decorations
- Retail outlets at classy shopping malls.
- Scratch card coupon offers and redeem cards at shop outlets
- Radio advertisement in FM radio stations
- Showcase displays at important shopping malls.
Brand Message – Denim symbolizes an unbroken spirit, severity and rough and tough attitude. It also depicts a casual, lovingly and a carefree sporting way of life. Ideally, that should be the real brand message with which the customer can feel about their products as his own.
Brand voice – The brand voice of denim should represent its personality and the core values of the brand. The same needs to be conveyed very clearly to the target audience so that they feel that this particular brand is close to their heart. Proper and effective brand voice of Denim if it clicks with the target group can cause wonders with the sak=les volume of the items,
Brand Personality – Brand personality is the qualitative summation of the brand message, brand voice and brand positioning. If one analyzes the brand personality of denim it signifies, integrity, sincerity, honesty, creativity and culturally inclined with a dash of toughness, honesty friendliness with others, toughness and attractiveness and practical way of mental makeup.
Brand integration –
Office and retail environment –
- Office should have interior ambience in synergy with the products
- Cutouts of cowboys and macho models should be displayed along with shades of denim in the customer interaction areas
- Business cards and official letterheads should convey that this is a denim company
- Exclusive franchisee and exclusive showrooms/ retail outlets should be suitably branded
- Signages should be well designed at the exclusive retail outlets, franchisee and showrooms
- Sales personnel at own showrooms and exclusive outlets should be well dressed in company house colour or chest badges.
Social media –
- Whatsapp group
- Specific email massaging
- Should be easily navigable
- The design has to be outstanding keeping in mind,the actual target audience
- The website apart from its own portal should have e-commerce facilities
- Link shared with portals like Amazon, Flipkart etc
- Search engine optimization
- Should be connected to Google analytics
Despite the pandemic and social distancing, yet the industry seems to be poised towards a healthy start with global health securities. The global forecast is quite okay. The marketer should now bring out some new innovative strategies so that it helps the brand go an extra mile.